When a WIN isn’t exactly a WIN WIN
On the surface, it looked like I had a massive WIN last week. Not first prize but one of 20 runners-up. A double pass to a conference I wouldn’t mind casing but on reading the fine print, the prize only covered $1,000 and I still needed to come up with almost $700 in order to ‘cash in’ on my prize.
The winner, I believe, not only received complimentary tickets but accommodation as well, which is what would have tempted me to enter the competition, that came across my feed on Facebook, in the first place. I must admit, I didn’t really look too closely at the terms and conditions or the fine print, just the big picture and prize and went for it.
It was only after receiving what I felt was the slap to the face runner-up ‘winning’ email, that I produced my magnifying glass and decided to look more closely at the fine print. Something, I think we should all do before entering a lot of online giveaways. Especially ones that ask for an excessive amount of personal information or where the prize seems too good to be true.
Thankfully there is nothing spammy or gimmicky about our latest giveaway this week (WIN: Spanish Film Festival tickets) and hopefully we can all say the same for everyone linking up this week. I know I’m going to have a lot of fun casing and entering all the fantastic giveaways on offer.
Aussie Giveaway Linkup instructions:
If you’re a blogger or business wanting to take part in the Aussie Giveaway Linkup:
- Only link directly to the giveaway post/s and include the prize and end date in the linky tool below.
- Link each giveaway separately.
- Leave a comment each time you link. It really is the quickest way to notify me of your giveaway, so I can start sharing the social media love your way.
- Giveaways must be open to Australian residents and be run by Australian-based bloggers or businesses.
- Grab the button below to add to your post or sidebar (optional but much appreciated)
- A new list is added each Sunday so bloggers and business owners need to add their links weekly.
- Start entering the giveaways! Entry is at your own risk. We do not take responsibility for unfulfilled prizes or a blogger/business not abiding by their own terms and conditions.
<img src=”http://agentmysterycase.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Aussie250.jpg” alt=”Agent Mystery Case” style=”border:none;” />
Aussie Giveaway Linkup #181
Have you ever won a competition, only to discovering the prize wasn’t as great as you first thought or you ended up on a telemarketer’s call each and every day list? Do you take the time to read the terms and conditions?